Sunday, March 16, 2008

Vegans leave the smallest footsteps

Vegans are people who eat no animal food of any kind, i.e. meat eggs, dairy, even honey.  They also wear no animal products, or use products which involves use of animals.  So they don't wear leather coats or shoes, wool, and ensure that their cosmetics/toiletries/drugs aren't tested with animals.
There was and is still some controversiality about the missing vitamin B12 in such a diet. The fact is that we need only minimal amounts of B12, and we can easily get that from miso, tempeh, nori, spirilina. etc.  Many people dispute this on scientific grounds, but I have met many extremely healthy people who are long term vegans. That's proof.
Other ground for veganism are moral, environmental, and spiritual.
We all eat vegan meals from time to time - think about it.
I ran a vegan restaurant for two years, (Sydney's first) and was a vegan for that time, and always had boundless energy. That was proof too. A lot of macrobiotic meals are vegan.  People who came to my cafe didn't know what vegan meant, but still rated my cafe as the best vegetarian restaurant in Sydney.

Cooking vegan meals every night (never using a recipe book)  was challenging, but proved a great opportunity to create original meals using food combinations which had never been used before (to my knowledge). In the two years I ran Alexx Slow-Foods, I never used the same main meal twice.

  Anyway, I'm going to let you into a few secrets, some borrowed from others but adapted to become my originals. All vegan of course.  These days everyone occasionally eats  a vegetarian  meal, and sometimes it happens to be vegan.  Now you can be the first one on the block to  show off these original ideas.  I'll be doing a series of posts called "Secrets of a Vegan Kitchen", read on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home